This Vegetarian Chili recipe is a hearty and comforting dish, perfect for cold weather. Packed with flavorful ingredients like fire-roasted tomatoes, beans, and a smoky kick from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, this plant-based chili is a delicious and satisfying option for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Take 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Take 1 (14-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3 chipotle peppers from canned chipotles in adobo, diced, plus 3 tablespoons sauce*
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (14-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Jalapeño or serrano peppers, diced or sliced
- Pickled Onions
1. Sauté Aromatics:
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, a pinch of salt, and several grinds of pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add diced red pepper. Stir and cook until soft (5 to 8 minutes), adjusting heat as needed.
2. Add Spices:
- Add minced garlic, chili powder, and cumin (if using). Stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
3. Combine Ingredients:
- Add diced fire-roasted tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, water or broth, diced chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, corn, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens.
4. Season and Serve:
- Stir in fresh lime juice and season to taste.
- Serve with desired toppings: avocado or guacamole, Greek yogurt or sour cream, diced or sliced jalapeño or serrano peppers, cilantro, and pickled onions.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
- Chipotle peppers vary in spice level, so adjust according to your preference.
- If the chili is too spicy, balance it with more lime juice and a bit of olive oil.
This Vegetarian Chili recipe is a wholesome and flavorful option for those looking to enjoy a satisfying, plant-based meal. With the smoky essence of chipotle peppers, the heartiness of beans, and the vibrant toppings, it’s a versatile and comforting dish that’s sure to become a favorite in your recipe repertoire